soar v. 高涨 perceive v. 觉察
mirage  n. 海市蜃楼 profanity  n. 亵渎
positive a. 实际的 setback n. 挫折
cop out 逃避 initiate  v. 开始,发起
bottom line  基础 predicament  n. 困境
stick... out  坚持 lifespan  n. 生命期限
thaw  v. 融化,溶解
根据朗读标记,熟读,背诵。
What︵is the secret ingredient︵of tough people▼ that enables them to succeed?↘ Why do they survive the tough times▼ when others are overcome by them? ↘Why do they win when others lose? ↘ Why do they soar when others sink?↘
The answer is very simple. It's all︵in how they perceive their problems. Yes, every living person has problems. A problem-free life is︵an︵illusion-a mirage︵in the desert. Accept that fact.
Every mountain has a peak. Every valley has its low point. Life has its ups︵ and downs,↗ its peaks︵ and its valleys.↘ No one is︵ up all the time,↘ nor︵ are they down all the time. Problems do end. They are all resolved︵ in time.
You may not be able to control the times, but you can compose︵ your response. You can turn your pain︵ into profanity -or into poetry. The choice︵ is︵ up to you. You may not have chosen your tough time, but you can choose how you will react to it. For instance, ↗ what is the positive reaction▼ to a terrible financial setback?↘ In this situation↗ would it be the positive reaction to cop︵out and run︵away?↗ Escape through alcohol, ↗ drug,↗ or suicide?↘ No! Such negative reactions only produce greater problems▼ by promising a temporary solution to the pressing problem. The positive solution to a problem▼ may require courage to initiate it. When you control your reaction to the seemingly un-controllable problem︵of life, then︵ in fact you do control the problem's effect︵ on you. Your reaction to the problem is the last word! That's the bottom line. What will︵ you let this problem do to you?↘ It can make you tender↗ or tough.↘ It can make you better↗ or bitter.↘ It all depends︵ on you.
In the final︵ analysis, the tough people who survive the tough times do so▼ because they've chosen to react positively▼ to their predicament. Tough times never last, but tough people do. Tough people stick︵ it︵ out. History teaches︵ us that every problem has︵ a lifespan. No problem︵ is permanent. Storms︵ always give︵ way to the sun. Winter always thaws︵ into springtime. Your storm will pass. Your winter will thaw. Your problem will be solved.
背诵小贴士 Recitation tips
关键词:
1. secret ingredient, tough people, survive-overcome, win-lose, soar-sink.
2. perceive problems, illusion.
3. peak, low, ups and downs, end, resolved.
4. control times, compose response, react, financial setback, positive, negative, control reaction, last word.
5. react positively, tough times, tough people, stick out, permanent, storm-sun, winter-springtime.
参考译文
人人有本难念的经
坚韧不拨的人成功的秘诀是什么?他们为什么能挺过艰难的时刻,而其他人却被困难所压倒?为什么成功的是他们,而失败的是其他人?为什么他们一飞冲天,而其他人都深陷泥沼?
答案很简单,全看他们是如何看待自己面临的难题。不错,人人有本难念的经。没有难题困扰的人生只能是一个幻想,是沙漠中的海市蜃楼。还是接受这个事实吧。每一座山都有巅峰,每一个峡谷都有深底。人生也有兴衰起伏,不会有人一生都时乖命蹇。难题总有了结的一天。随着时间的推移,一切难题都会迎刃而解。
你也许不能控制时势,可是你能够冷静应对。你既可以把痛苦转换为怨天尤人的诅咒,也可以赋予之以诗意,这全在于你自己的选择。时运不济的你或许无从选择,但是你可以选择应对的方略。譬如,遭遇一次严重的经济挫折,究竟怎么做才称得上积极应对呢?放弃而后潜逃?借酒浇愁?吸毒麻醉?抑或自杀?这样的逃避是积极应对吗?当然不是!这样一些消极的反应似乎暂时解决了迫在眉睫的难题,但事实上只会招致更棘手的难题。积极的应对只能是鼓起勇气着手解决。对于人生中看似无法控制的难题,当你能够控制自己的应对,那么你就事实上控制了难题对你的影响。你对难题的应对是至关重要的、最根本的。难题能对你产生什么样的影响呢?它可以使你脆弱,也可以使你坚强;它可以使你升华,也可以使你痛苦。全在于你自己。
归根结底,坚韧的人之所以能挺过艰难的岁月,是因为他们选择积极地去应对困境。艰难的岁月不会没完没了,坚韧的人会始终不懈,坚持到底。历史告诉我们,每一个难题都有始有终,任何难题都不会永远存在。暴风雨过后一定是灿烂的阳光。严冬必然会化为春光。你的暴风雨也会过去,你的冬天也会回暖。你的难题终将解决。
2. If I Were a Boy Again 假如我再回到童年
单词与词组 Words and phrases
perseverance  n. 毅力 surmount  v. 爬上顶端
pyramid n. 金字塔 school  v. 锻炼
cultivation  n. 培养 frown v. 皱眉
courtesy n. 礼貌
If︵ I were︵ a boy again, I would practise perseverance more often, and never give︵ up︵ a thing because it︵ was hard or︵ inconvenient. If we want light,↗ we must conquer darkness. Perseverance can sometimes︵ equal genius in︵ its results. "There︵ are︵ only two creatures," says︵ a proverb, "who can surmount the pyramids-the eagle↗ and the snail."
If︵ I were︵ a boy again, I would school myself︵ into a habit︵ of attention; I would let nothing come between me↗ and the subject︵ in hand. I would remember that▼ a good skater never tries to skate︵ in two directions︵ at︵ once. The habit ︵of︵ attention becomes part︵ of︵ our life, if we begin early enough. I often hear grown-up people say ,"I could not fix my attention on the lecture↗ or book, although I wished to do so," and the reason︵ is, the habit was not formed︵ in youth.
If︵ I were to live my life over︵ again, I would pay more attention to the cultivation︵ of the memory. I would strengthen that faculty by every possible means, and, on︵ every possible occasion. It takes︵ a little hard work︵ at first ▼to remember things︵ accurately; but memory soon helps︵ itself, and gives very little trouble. It︵ only needs early cultivation▼ to become︵ a power.
If︵ I were︵ a boy again, I would look︵ on the cheerful side. Life︵ is very much like︵ a mirror: if you smile︵ upon︵ it, it smiles back︵ upon︵ you; but if you frown︵ and look doubtful︵ on︵ it, you will get︵ a similar look︵ in return. Inner sunshine warms not︵ only the heart︵ of the owner, but ︵of all that come︵ in contact with︵ it. Who shuts love︵ out, in turn shall be shut from love.
If︵ I were︵ a boy again, I would school myself to say "No" oftener. I might write pages︵ on the importance︵ of learning very early in life▼ to gain that point ▼where a young boy can stand︵ erect, and decline doing an︵ unworthy act▼ because it︵ is︵ unworthy.
If︵ I were︵ a boy again, I would demand︵ of myself more courtesy▼ towards my companions︵↗ and friends, and︵ indeed towards strangers ︵as well. The smallest courtesies︵ along the rough roads︵ of life▼ are like the little birds that sing to us all winter long, and make that season︵ of︵ ice︵ and snow▼ more endurable.
Finally, instead︵ of trying hard to be happy, as︵ if that were the sole purpose︵ of life, I would, if︵ I were︵ a boy again, try still harder to make others happy.
背诵小贴士 Recitation tips
记住关键词:
practise perseverance, develop a habit of attention, strengthen memory, look on the cheerful side, say 'no' oftener, show more courtesy to others, to be happy is not the sole purpose of life.(这是一篇非常好的文章,作者用平常的话语道出深刻的生活哲理,希望能给您增添勇气和智慧。)
假如我再回到童年
假如我再回到童年,我会更多地培养自己的毅力,决不因为事情艰难或麻烦而放弃不干。如果我们需要光明,我们就得征服黑暗。在产生的结果方面,毅力往往可以与天才相妣美。谚语说:“能登上金字塔的生物只有两种--雄鹰与蜗牛。”
假如我再回到童年,我会培养自己专心致志的习惯;一旦手头有事,决不让任何东西使我分心。我会牢记:一位优秀的溜冰手从不试图同时滑向两个不同的方向。如果及早养成专心致志的习惯,它就会成为我们生命的一个部分。我常常听到成年人说:“尽管我希望集中注意力听讲课或读书,但往往做不到。”其原因就在于年轻时没有养成这种习惯。
假如我能重新活过,我会更加注意培养自己的记忆力。我要采取一切可能的办法,在一切可能的场合,增强记忆力。要精确地记住一切事物,起初的确要作出一番小小的努力;但用不了多久,记忆力本身就会起作用,使记忆成为轻而易举的事。只需及早培养,记忆自会成为一种才能。
假如我再回到童年,我会凡事都看光明的一面。生活就像一面镜子:你朝它微笑,它也会朝你微笑;但如果你朝它皱眉头,它也会朝你皱眉头;如果你用怀疑的目光看待它,它也会以同样怀疑的目光看待你。
内心的阳光不仅温暖了自己的心,同时也温暖了所有跟他接触的人的心。“谁将爱拒之门外,谁就会被爱拒之门外。”
假如我再回到童年,我就要养成经常说“不”的习惯。我可以写上好几页,谈谈早期培养这一点的重要性。一个少年要能挺得起腰杆,拒绝做不值得做的事--就因为它不值得做。
假如我再回到童年,我会要求自己对待同伴和朋友更礼貌,而且对陌生人也同样如此。在坎坷的人生道路上,最细小的礼貌犹如在漫长的冬季为我们歌唱的小鸟,使得冰天雪地的严冬变得较易忍受。
最后,假如我再回到童年,我不会竭力为自己谋幸福--仿佛那是人生的唯一目标;与之相反,我会更加努力--让他人幸福。
3. Three Days to See 给我三天光明
单词与词组 Words and phrases
incredulous a. 怀疑的 note  n. 注意
symmetry  n. 对称 birch n. 白桦树
bark  n. 树皮 velvety  a. 柔软的
texture n. 质地 convolution  n. 卷绕
lush a. 青葱的 pageant  n. 庆典
panorama n. 全景 compulsory  a. 必修的
dormant  a. 睡眠的 sluggish  a. 行动迟缓的
I have︵ often thought it would be a blessing▼ if︵ each human being were stricken blind↗︵ and deaf▼ for︵ a few days︵ at some time▼ during his︵ early adult life. Darkness would make him more︵ appreciative︵ of sight, silence would teach︵ him the joys︵ of sound.
Now︵ and then I have tested my seeing friends▼ to discover what they see. Recently I was visited by a very good friend▼ who had just returned from︵ a long walk︵ in the woods, and︵ I asked her what she had︵ observed. "Nothing︵ in particular," she replied. I might︵ have been︵ incredulous. Had︵ I not been︵ accustomed to such responses, for so long︵ ago▼ I became convinced that the seeing see little.
How was︵ it possible, I asked myself, to walk for︵ an︵ hour through the woods▼ and see nothing worthy of note? I who cannot see▼ find hundreds︵ of things to interest me through mere touch. I feel the delicate symmetry of︵ a leaf. I pass my hands lovingly about the smooth skin︵ of ︵a silver birch,↗ of the rough bark︵ of︵ a pine. In spring I touch the branches︵ of trees hopefully▼ in search︵ of︵ a bud,↗ the first sign︵ of awakening Nature▼ after her winter's sleep. I feel the delightful,↗ velvety texture︵ of︵ a flower,↗ and, discover︵ its remarkable convolutions; and something︵ of the miracle︵ of Nature▼ is revealed to me.
Occasionally, if︵ I am very fortunate, I place my hand gently on︵ a small tree▼ and feel the happy quiver︵ of︵ a bird︵ in full song. I am delighted to have the cool waters︵ of ︵a brook▼ rush through my open fingers. To me▼ a lush carpet︵ of pine needles↗ or spongy grass▼ is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug. To me▼ the pageant︵ of seasons is︵ a thrilling↗ and︵ unending drama, the action︵ of which▼ streams through my finger tips.
At times▼ my heart cries︵ out▼ with longing to see all these things. If︵ I can get so much pleasure from mere touch, how much more beauty must be revealed by sight. Yet, those who have eyes apparently see little. The panorama of color↗︵ and action▼ which fills the world▼ is taken for granted. It︵ is human perhaps, to appreciate little that which we have▼ and to long for that which we have not, but︵ it︵ is︵ a great pity▼ that︵ in the world ︵of light the gift︵ of sight is used︵▼ only as︵ a mere convenience▼ rather than︵ as︵ a mean︵ of ︵adding fullness to life.
If︵ I were the president ︵of︵ a university, I should establish︵ a compulsory course▼ in "How to Use Your Eyes."The professor would try to show his pupils▼ how they could add joy to their lives▼ by really seeing what passes unnoticed▼ before them. He would try to awake their dormant↗︵ and sluggish faculties.

给我三天光明
我时常想,如果每一个人在初成年之时有几天突然失聪失明,该是件幸事。黑暗将使他更加珍惜视力,沉寂将使他领略声音的乐趣。
我曾不时地测试我那些视力正常的朋友,询问他们看到了些什么。最近,有一位刚从森林远足归来的好友来探望我,我问她有何发现。“没什么特别的,”她回答道。若不是对这样的回答习以为常,我会觉得难以置信。很久以前我就确切地知道,看得见的人其实看到的很少。
这怎么可能?我自问,在林中漫步一个小时却没有看到任何值得注意的东西?看不见的我仅凭触摸就能发现成百上千种让我感兴趣的东西。我感受到一片叶子精致的对称。我用双手爱抚着白桦树光滑、松树粗糙的外皮。在春天,我满怀希望地触摸着树枝,寻找嫩芽,那是大自然从冬眠中苏醒的第一个征兆。我感受着花朵儿惹人喜爱的柔滑和奇妙的卷曲;大自然的部分奇迹就这样展示给我。
偶尔,假如我非常幸运的话,我将手轻轻地放在一株小树上,我能感受到鸟儿欢唱时快乐的颤动。我喜欢张开手指,让清凉的溪水从指缝间流过。对我来说,地毯般覆盖地面的松针或碧绿松软的草皮远胜过最豪华的波斯地毯。对我来说,绚丽多彩的季节更替是一出激动人心而永不终结的戏剧,一幕幕地在我的指尖上缓缓流过。
有时候,我从心底里呼唤,希望看到这一切。仅仅靠触摸我就能获取这么多乐趣,要是能看得见,那该发现多少美妙的东西啊!然而,那些看得见的人显然所见甚少。面对五光十色的鲜活的大千世界,他们无动于衷。这或许是人类的天性:对于已经拥有的我们很少心存感念,而对于不曾拥有的,我们孜孜以求。在光明的世界里,天赋的视力仅仅被作为一种便利而非让生活更加充实的手段,这真是莫大的遗憾。
我若是一所大学的校长,我将设立一门必修课《如何使用你的眼睛》。教授将尽力教会学生怎样才能真正“看见”那些在眼前不经意地掠过的一切,为他们的生活增添乐趣。他将努力唤醒学生们沉睡而迟钝的官能。
4. The Value of Time 时间的价值
单词与词组 Words and phrases
Forfe v. 丧失 deduct n. 扣除
portion n. 部分 recoup  v. 赔偿,补偿
treble v. 增为三倍 incalculable  a. 不可计算的
根据朗读标记,熟读,背诵。
"Time," says the proverb, "is money". This means that every moment well-spent▼ may put some money into our pockets. If ︵our time is︵ usefully employed, it will either turn︵ out some useful︵ and important piece︵ of work▼ which will fetch︵ its price︵ in the market, or︵ it will add to our︵ experience▼ and increase︵ our capacities▼ so as to enable︵ us to earn money▼ when the proper opportunity comes. Let those, who think nothing of wasting time, remember this.
Our life is nothing more than︵ our time. To kill time is therefore▼ a form︵ of suicide. We are shocked▼ when we think︵ of death, and we spare no pains,↗ no trouble,↗ and no expense to preserve life. But we are too often indifferent to the loss︵ of︵ an︵ hour↗▼ or︵ of︵ a day, forgetting that our life︵ is the sum total︵ of the days▼ and︵ of the hours we live. A day or︵ an hour wasted is therefore▼ so much life forfeited. Our life︵ is︵ a brief span▼ measuring some seventy↗ or eighty years︵ in︵ all.
But nearly one third︵ of this has to be spent in sleep; some years have to be spent over ︵our meals; some︵ in making journeys︵ on land↗ and voyages by sea; some︵ in merry-making; some︵ in watching︵ over the sick-beds︵ of ︵our nearest︵↗ and dearest relatives. Now︵ if︵ all these years were to be deducted from the term▼ over which our life︵ extends, we shall find︵ about twenty↗ or thirty years at︵ our disposal for︵ active work. Whoever remembers this▼ can never willingly waste︵a single moment︵ of his life.
All time is precious; but the time︵ of︵ our childhood▼ and︵ of our youth is more precious▼ than ︵any other portion︵ of ︵our existence. For those︵ are the periods when︵ alone▼ we can︵ acquire knowledge↗ and develop︵ our capacities. If we allow these morning hours︵ of life to slip︵ away, we shall never be able to recoup the loss. Just︵ as money laid︵ out︵ at interest▼ doubles↗︵ and trebles︵ itself︵ in time, so the precious hours︵ of childhood︵ and youth, if properly used, will yield︵ us︵ incalculable︵ advantages.
背诵小贴士Recitation tips
先记住每一段的主题句:
1. Time is money.
2. To kill time is therefore a form of suicide.
3. The time of our childhood and of our youth is more precious than any other portion of our existence.

时间的价值
谚语说:“时间就是金钱。”这句话的意思是,一时片刻只要用得有效,都会让我们的口袋增添一些钱。如果我们的时间使用得当,就能生产出有用的和重要的产品,在市场上卖得一定的价钱;或者充实我们的经验,增长我们的才干,待到适当时机我们就能挣得金钱。那些对浪费时间毫不在意的人该记住这一点。
再说,我们的生命无非就是我们的时间,因此浪费时间也就是一种自杀。我们想到死便惊恐不已,因而不惜一切努力、麻烦和费用来保全我们的生命。可是我们对于损失一个小时或一天的时间无动于衷,忘记了我们的生命原本就是我们生活的每一天、每一小时的总和。因此浪费一天或一个小时就是丧失一天或一个小时的生命。人生短暂,总共不过七八十年。
可是将近三分之一的时间必须用睡眠;吃饭也得花去好几年;陆路海上旅游又是几年;再加上娱乐活动的几年,在病床边照看至亲至爱的几年。现在如果从我们的寿命中扣除所有这些岁月,我们将会发现。能受我们支配的有效的工作时间大约仅二三十年而已。谁能记住这一点,谁就不会心甘情愿地浪费他生命的分分秒秒。
所有的时间都是宝贵的,而我们的童年和青年时期的光阴比一生中其他阶段更为宝贵。因为只有在这两个阶段我们才能获取知识,增长才干。如果我们让这些生命的早晨时光悄悄溜走,这损失永远也无法弥补。储蓄金钱,产生利息,到时候会翻两三倍;同样,童年和青年时期的宝贵时光,如果使用得当,必将带来不可估量的利益。
5. Youth 青 春
单词与词组 Words and phrases
supple a. 柔软的 vigor n. 精力,活力
predominance  n. 优势 temperamental a. 心情变化快的
wrinkle v. 使皱 bow v. 弯腰
lure  n. 引诱 aerials n. 天线
cynicism  n. 玩世不恭
根据朗读标记,熟读,背诵。
Youth is︵ not︵ a time︵ of life; it︵ is︵ a state︵ of mind; it︵ is not︵ a matter︵ of rosy cheeks,↗ red lips↗ and supple knees; it︵ is︵ a matter︵ of will, a quality of imagination, a vigor︵ of the emotions; it︵ is the freshness︵ of the deep springs︵ of life.
Youth means︵ a temperamental predominance︵ of courage▼ over timidity, of the appetite for adventure▼ over the love︵ of ease. This often︵ exists in︵ a man︵ of 60▼ more than︵ a boy of 20. Nobody grows︵ old merely by a number ︵of years. We grow old▼ by deserting our ideals.
Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give︵ up︵ enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. Worry,↗ fear,↗ self-distrust bows the heart▼ and turns the spirit back to dust.
Whether 60 or 16, there︵ is︵ in every human being's heart▼ the lure︵ of wonder, the unfailing childlike appetite︵ of what's next▼ and the joy of the game︵ of living. In the center︵ of your heart and my heart▼ there︵ is︵ a wireless station: so long as︵ it receives messages︵ of beauty,↗ hope,↗ cheer,↗ courage↗ and power↘ from men↗︵ ▼and from the infinite,↘ so long as︵ you are young.
When the aerials︵ are down, and your spirit︵ is covered with snows︵ of cynicism↗▼ and the ice︵ of pessimism,↘ then you are grown︵ old, even︵ at 20, but︵ as long︵ as your aerials︵ are up to catch waves︵ of︵ optimism, there︵ is hope you may die young at 80.
参考译文
青 春
青春,不是人生的一个阶段,而是一种心境。青春,不是指粉红的面颊、红润的嘴唇和柔韧的膝盖,而是指坚强的意志、丰富的想像和激越的情感。青春,是生命深处的一泓清泉。
青春,是一种气质:勇猛果敢而不怯懦退缩,渴求冒险而不贪图安逸。一位60岁的老人身上常常散发着这种气息,而在一个20岁的小伙子身上倒未必可寻。没有人会仅仅因为年岁的增长而变得衰老,我们是由于丧失理想才变得衰老。
年岁或许会在皮肤上生出皱纹,而热情不再则会使心灵起皱。忧虑、恐惧、自卑,都会让人心灰意懒,一蹶不振。
无论是60岁还是16岁,每一个人心里都怀有对新奇事物的向往,都会像孩童一样对未来充满永不衰减的憧憬,都能在生活的游戏中汲取快乐。在你我的心灵中央都有一座无线电台:只要它接收到其他人和上帝发出的美、希望、快乐、勇气和力量的信息,你就会永葆青春。
当你的天线收拢,当你的心灵覆盖着愤世嫉俗的霜雪和悲观厌世的坚冰,即使你年方20,你也已进入了垂暮之年。然而,只要你的天线张开,接收着乐观向上的电波,那么,你就可以指望,在80岁死去时依然年轻。
6. The Personal Qualities of a Teacher 教师的个性品质
单词与词组 Words and phrases
quality n. 品德 rule out 排除
cold-mannered  态度冷漠的 tolerant a. 容忍的
in one's stride 镇定地 irritation n. 愤怒
principle n. 原则
根据朗读标记,熟读,背诵。
What personal qualities︵ are desirable in︵ a teacher?↘ Probably no two people would write︵ exactly similar lists, but︵ I think ▼the following would be generally accepted.
First, a teacher should be pleasantly lively↗︵ and︵ attractive. This does not rule︵ out people▼ who are not good-looking or︵ even ugly, because many such▼ have great personal charm. But︵ it does rule︵ out such types▼︵ as the over-excitable,↗ dull,↗ sad,↗ cold-mannered,↗ or any with︵ other︵ undesirable qualities.
Secondly,↗ it︵ is not︵ only desirable but essential for︵ a teacher▼ to have real capacity for sympathy-a capacity to understand the minds↗︵ and feelings︵ of︵ other people. Closely related with this is the capacity to be tolerant-not︵ indeed︵ of what︵ is wrong, but︵ of weakness︵ of human nature▼ which induce people, and︵ especially children, to make mistakes.
I find︵ it︵ essential for ︵a teacher▼ to be a bit︵ of ︵an︵ actor. That︵ is part︵ of the technique︵ of teaching, which demands that▼ every now︵ and then ▼a teacher should put︵ on︵ an︵ act to make his lesson︵ interesting↗︵ and vivid. Children, especially young children live︵ in︵ a world▼ that︵ is rather larger than life.
A teacher must be capable︵ of great patience. This, I may say, is largely a matter︵ of self-training. We are none︵ of us born like that. Teaching makes great demands︵ on nervous energy▼ and one should be able to take in his stride ▼countless small︵ irritations▼ any adult dealing with children has to endure.
Finally, I think a teacher should have the kind︵ of mind▼ which always wants to go on learning. Teaching︵ is︵ a job at which▼ one will never be perfect; there︵ is always something more to learn︵ about︵ it. There︵ are three main subjects︵ of study: the subject︵ of subjects which the teacher︵ is teaching; the methods by which they can best be taught to the pupils▼︵ in the classes he is teaching; -by far▼ the most︵ important -the children,↗ young people↗︵ or adults▼ to whom they are to be taught. The two main principles︵ of American︵ education today▼ are that education︵ is education︵ of the whole person, and that yet is best︵ acquired▼ through full ↗︵and︵ active cooperation between two persons, the teacher↗ and the learner.
教师的个性品质
一位教师应具有什么样理想的个性品质呢?或许没有哪两个人能列出完全相同的条款,但我以为以下这些会被普遍认可。
首先,一位教师应该生性活泼,有吸引力,让人感到愉快。这么说并不是要将那些其貌不扬的人排除在外,因为许多人其貌不扬却具有很大的个人魅力。但我们确实要把那些容易激动、头脑迟钝、愁眉苦脸、态度冷漠以及其他诸如此类不良特征的人排除在外。
其次,真正富有同情心--亦即理解他人的内心活动和情感的能力。这一点对于一位教师来说不仅是理想的,而且是必备的。与这种能力密切相关的是容忍的能力--不是对错误的东西加以宽容,而是对引诱人们,尤其是孩子犯错误的人性弱点予以宽容。
我发现,对一名教师来说,有一点儿演员的气质是非常必要的。这是教学技巧的组成部分,它要求教师时而带些表演性的行为以使他的课程生动有趣。孩子们,尤其是青少年,总是生活在比实际生活更为广泛的天地里。
一名教师必须具有极大的耐心。可以这么说,在很大程度上这是个个人修养问题。而我们没有一个人与生俱来拥有这一点。教学对人精神承受力提出了很高的要求,一名教师需要从容处理成人与孩子打交道时必须忍受的数不清的烦心事儿。
最后,我认为一名教师应该具有不断好学上进的精神。教学工作是一项永远不会完美无缺的工作,总是有更多的东西需要学习。有三个主要课题值得研究:教师所任教的一门或几门课程;最有效地把课程内容传授给学生的教学方法;教学的对象:儿童、青年或成年人,这也是最重要的。当今美国教育有两个主要原则,其一、教育是对受教育者的全面素质教育;其二、教育是通过教师和学生二者之间充分而积极的合作才能得以完满实现。
7. Four Freedoms 四 大 自 由
作者:富兰克林•罗斯福(Franklin Roosevelt, 1882-1945),美国第32任总统。
单词与词组 Words and phrases
worship v. 崇拜 inhabitant n. 居民
reduction n. 减少 armament n. 武器
fashion n. 方式 millennium n. 一千年
antithesis n. 对立面 tyranny n. 暴政
dictator n. 独裁者 perpetual a. 永久的
concentration camp  集中营 ditch n. 沟渠
quicklime n. 生石灰 supremacy n. 至高无上
(这一节都是演说词。背诵时,请您想象自己就是演讲者,注入激情和活力,大声诵读。相信通过背诵这些文章可以显著的提高你的演说的能力。)
In the future days, which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world▼ founded︵ upon four︵ essential human freedoms.
The first▼ is freedom︵ of speech↗︵ and︵ expression -everywhere in the world.
The second▼ is freedom︵ of ︵every person to worship God▼ in his︵ own-everywhere in the world.
The third▼ is freedom from want-which, translated︵ into world terms, means economic︵ understandings▼ which will secure to every nation▼ a healthy peace time life▼ for︵ its︵ inhabitants-everywhere in the world.
The forth▼ is freedom from fear-which, translated︵ into world terms, means︵ a world-wide reduction︵ of︵ armaments▼ to such︵ a point▼ and︵ in such︵ a thorough fashion▼ that no nation will be in︵ a position▼ to commit an︵ act ︵of physical︵ aggression▼ against any neighbor-anywhere in the world.
That︵ is no vision of︵ a distant millennium. It︵ is︵ a definite basis▼ for a kind︵ of world that is the very antithesis▼ of the so-called new order︵ of tyranny▼ which the dictators seek to create▼ with the crash︵ of︵ a bomb.
Since the beginning︵ of ︵our American history▼ we have been engaged︵ in change-in︵ a perpetual peaceful revolution-a revolution▼ which goes︵ on steadily,↘ quietly adjusting itself▼ to changing conditions-without the concentration camp↗▼ or the quicklime︵ in the ditch. The world order which we seek▼ is the cooperation︵ of free countries, working together in︵ a friendly,↗ civilized society.
This nation has placed︵ its destiny▼ in the hands︵ and hearts ︵of ︵its millions︵ of free men↗︵ and women; and︵ its faith in freedom under the guidance︵ of God. Freedom means the supremacy of human rights everywhere. Our support goes to those▼ who struggle to gain those rights▼ or keep them. Our strength is︵ in︵ our unity of purpose.
To that high concept▼ there can be no end save victory.
四大自由
在未来岁月里,我们要努力寻求安定与和平,我们期待在人类四项基本自由基础之上建立一个崭新的世界。
第一是人们都应享有言论自由--在世界的所有地区均不例外。
第二是人们都应享有以自己的方式崇拜上帝的自由--在世界的所有地区均不例外。
第三是人们都应享有不虞匮乏的自由--这种自由,就世界各国而言,就是建立一种经济上的互谅互让关系,从而保证每一个国家的人民都能过上富足、和平的生活--在世界的所有地区均不例外。
第四是人们都应享有免于恐惧的自由--这种自由,就世界各国而言,就是在世界范围内彻底裁减军备,直至任何一个国家都没有能力向邻国发动武装侵略--在世界的任何一个地区均不例外。
这绝不是对遥远未来的幻想。在我们这个时代,我们这代人就可以在这一实实在在的基础之上,建立起一个新的世界。这个世界是与独裁者们想用炸弹炸出来的所谓暴政新秩序截然相反的。
自美国有史以来,我们一直致力于变革。这是一种从未间断的和平革命,一种扎实渐进的革命,悄然地进行调整,以适应变化多端的形势,没有集中营,也没有万人坑。我们所追求的世界新秩序是自由国家之间的合作,是自由国家在一个友好、文明的世界里同心协力,共同努力。
我们的国家已经将它的命运交到她千百万自由男女的手里、脑里和心里。她已将她对于自由的信仰交由上帝指引。自由意味着在任何地方,人权高于一切。我们支持一切为争取、捍卫这种权力而斗争的人们。我们的力量就在于我们目标一致。
为了实现这一崇高的信念,我们不获全胜,绝不罢休。
8. My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of men. Finally whether you are citizens of America, or citizens of the world, ask of us here, the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience of our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth, God's work must truly be our own.--By John F. Kennedy
译文:美国同胞们,不要问美国能为你们做些什么,应该问你们能为美国贡献些什么。全世界的同胞们,不要问美国将为你做些什么,应该问我们一同能为人类的自由做些什么。最后,无论你是美国公民还是其他国家的同胞,你们应该要求我们献出我们同样要求于你们的高度的力量和牺牲。无愧于心是我们惟一可靠的奖赏,历史是我们行动最终的裁判。这一切让我们大步向前,去引领我们所热爱的这片土地。我们祈求上帝的保佑和帮助,但我们很清楚,上帝在尘世的工作必定是我们自己的工作。 
 --[美]约翰•肯尼迪
citizen: n.市民,公民 sacrifice: n./ v.牺牲,献身 conscience: n.良心,道德心
9. I will persist until I succeed.
I will never consider defeat and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit, cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question, improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat; for they are the words of fools. I will avoid despair but if this disease of the mind should infect me then I will work on in despair. I will toil and I will endure. I will ignore the obstacles at my feet and keep my eyes on the goals above my head, for I know that where dry desert ends, green grass grows.
I will persist until I succeed.
I will try, and try, and try again. Each obstacle I will consider as a mere detour to my goal and a challenge to my profession. I will persist and develop my skills as the mariner develops his, by learning to ride out the wrath of each storm.
(from the Scrolls)
10. Life is too short to be little
We men are imperfect beings, so conflicts among us are unavoidable. Inevitably, we sometimes feel injured, insulted, or slighted. Perhaps we put our faith in another, and were disappointed; perhaps we deserved one’s gratitude, and were denied; perhaps we wished to join our efforts to those of a group, and were rejected.
Such experiences are painful indeed, but is it foolish to let them occupy our efforts and precious time? For what does it profit us to dwell on trivial matters? The priceless days should be spent meaningfully, joyfully. How thoughtless to waste the irreplaceable hours reviewing insignificant incidents, bearing a grudge or pitying oneself! Far better to embrace with gratitude the gift of each day to make the most of every moment by filling it with purpose or appreciation.
Consider this thought when next you feel tempted to nurse a grievance: that life is too short to be little!

回复:值得背诵的美文 发表于 2008-08-17 00:12:38  2楼 
作者:akun
积分:1
手机:moto e2
注册:2008-08-16
好东东,谢过
  回复:值得背诵的美文 发表于 2009-03-03 15:00:04  3楼 
作者:mowanjun
积分:2
手机:3110c
注册:2009-03-03
謝謝